Gel ice pack
Gel ice pack also called cold pack, is the substitute product for the traditional ice bag.
It can be used to:
- lower the body’s temperature;
- transport the medicine, food, flower;
- deal with the emergency hurt pain on sports injuries.
Different from traditional ice bags, gel ice packs have become increasingly popular.
Advantages of Gel Ice Pack
- Soft feel and nice appearance;
- Effectively curb the breeding of bacteria;
- More effective. (Its specific heat is 3-4 times than ice’s)
What chemical is in ice packs?
It’s Sodium polyacrylate.
As a type of superabsorbent polymers, sodium polyacrylate can absorb plenty of water and become a gel form.
One-gram sodium polyacrylate can absorb 300-1000 grams of pure water. In other words, it’s enough to contain 1 gram (or less) sodium polyacrylate for each gel ice pack.
Advantages of Sodium polyacrylate
- high specific heat capacity;
- low cost (for each gel ice pack) ;
- non-toxic & environment friendly;
Other applications of sodium polyacrylate
Except for gel ice pack, it can be used in every aspect of our life:
- thermal insulation material (ice towels, ice pillows…);
- absorbent material (such as in paper diapers, sanitary napkins, nursing pads…);
- water blocking material (such as inflatable sandbags, waterproof for cable…);
- expanding material (inflatable toy).