At this point, the properties of SAP are different.
Ordinary SAP cannot be reused. For example, SAP used in diapers will be discarded after absorbing urine.
For the SAP used in some special purposes such as water-absorbing expansion flood control bags, the manufacturer will carry out special post-processing. The SAP after these special treatments can become solid particles after a certain period of time after absorbing water. State, can repeatedly absorb moisture.
SAP is not a natural substance, but a macromolecular structure of organic synthesis, so it is difficult to be biodegraded in natural soil.
But it is worth mentioning that SAP can be decomposed naturally in the soil.
We can confirm this conclusion through a very simple experiment. For example, the gel after absorbing water with SAP will melt under the sunlight for a week.
In addition, in some countries, diaper manufacturers have begun to research and produce SAP types that can be naturally degraded by biotechnology. The principle is that the process of SAP production is grafted with starch or other substances so that it can be decomposed by living microorganisms.
Although the price of sodium polyacrylate is much lower than potassium polyacrylate type SAP, it’s whimsical to use it as a water-retaining agent.
List a few reasons why you should NOT use sodium polyacrylate for plants:
As a water-retaining agent, sodium polyacrylate can hardly absorb water underground causing the high ion concentration of soil leachate.
The water gel from sodium polyacrylate is easily melted and photodegraded at a lower temperature (such as 40°C).
Sodium polyacrylate is decomposed into a large number of sodium ions that cannot be absorbed by plants, which leads to increased soil salinization.
SAP is not toxic. In the process of synthesizing SAP, the content of acrylic acid can be strictly controlled and is not harmful to the human body.
In fact, SAP has been widely used as an important water-absorbing component of baby diapers.
Although SAP is harmless to the skin, you should see a doctor as soon as possible after your baby or your dog ingests it. This is because it swells so fast that it can cause gastrointestinal discomfort after accidental ingestion.